Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Commandos Free 54 People from Taliban Prison in Afghanistan

Afghan soldiers patrol in Helmand province, where the Taliban is pressing an offensive to capture a key district, on December 21, 2015. Noor Mohammad / AFP

At least 54 people, including security personnel and civilians, were released from a Taliban prison in a commando raid in southern Helmand province, an official said Tuesday.

Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the prisoners were freed late Monday night in Musa Qala district.

Zwak said there were 32 civilians, 16 police, four soldiers and two military doctors who had been locked up by the insurgents.

The Taliban did not immediately comment on the raid, but the insurgents are in control of the majority of the districts in Helmand, where they have increased their attacks against provincial officials and security forces.

The Taliban have long refused direct talks with the Afghan government, demanding instead to negotiate with the US. The militants maintained that position despite Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's unilateral extension of a holiday cease-fire last month in hopes of encouraging the militants to come to the bargaining table. When the Taliban continued to mount deadly attacks, Ghani ordered government forces to resume military operations this month.

Trump administration officials said Monday for the first time that the US would be open to holding direct talks with the Taliban to encourage negotiations between the group and the Afghan government to end 17 years of war.

But NATO's Afghanistan mission denied Monday reports that its commander has said America is ready to join the direct talks.

US General John Nicholson spoke with Afghan officials in Kandahar, where he reportedly said the US was "ready" to talk to the Taliban -- a shift from the long-held position of Kabul needing to lead any peace process.

In a statement, Nicholson said his comments had been mischaracterized and that he was merely reaffirming remarks by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who in June said the US is prepared to "support, facilitate and participate" in eventual peace talks.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.