Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
Tristan Kirk

Cold Case killing: Man appears at Old Bailey to deny 1983 murder

A man accused of an unsolved murder dating back nearly 40 years ago appeared at the Old Bailey today to deny the killing.

Christopher Ainscough, 50, was found dead at his home in Shoot-Up Hill Court, Kilburn in December 1983, but no one was convicted over his death.

However the cold case was dramatically reopened by the Metropolitan Police at the end of last year, when Anthony Kemp, 58, was questioned in relation to Mr Ainscough’s death.

Kemp, who was charged in February this year, appeared at the Old Bailey this morning to plead not guilty to murder.

“The defendant is facing a charge of murder in relation to a killing in 1983”, said prosecutor Gareth Patterson QC.

It is believed Mr Ainscough sustained a serious head injury at his home between December 2 and 5, 1983.

Judge Philip Katz QC called it an “unusual case in many respects” as he set a two-to-three week trial starting on June 6 next year.

However he said the case could be transferred out of the Old Bailey if there was a chance of dealing with it earlier at a different court.

Kemp, of no fixed address, wore a face mask on his chin as he followed the hearing via videolink from HMP Wandsworth.

He denies one count of murder and was remanded in custody until trial.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.