Coatbridge boxer Ben McGivern says if it wasn’t for bad luck he would have none at all, after being left without an opponent again earlier this month.
But McGivern, pictured, hopes all that changes when he takes on Glasgow’s Ian O’Connor over six rounds at the Boxing Dinner Promotion at the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow on November 19.
The 33-year-old was due to fight England’s Harry Matthews at Pugilism at the Plaza 3 in Glasgow on October 9, but a late licence application meant his opponent was forced to withdraw.
Promoter Sam Kynoch tried to get someone to step in at the last minute, but McGivern ended up taking part in an exhibition match – and that was abandoned when a clash of heads caused a cut above his eye one minute in, which needed four stitches.
McGivern has only managed one professional fight, which took place at Hamilton Accies’ New Douglas Park in July, and since then it has been call-off after call-off.
The frustrated fighter said: “The fight against Harry Matthews was called off, so I ended up doing an exhibition match, but that didn’t last long because of a clash of heads that caused a cut to the right side of my eyebrow.
“There are always bumps in the road, but you just need to get on with it, and I’m just glad the ref did the right thing and called it off early – it was only a minute into the first round and I ended up with four stitches.
“I was in the middle of camp for that show when I got a message from Sam Kynoch saying the fight with O’Connor had come up and would I take it.
“I said ‘listen, I’ll take any fight, as long as it keeps my record up’ and it’s over six rounds, which is great.
“It’s an all-Scottish showdown, and he’s won one and drawn one, so he’s looking to bounce back, and I’m looking to continue winning after my first fight.
“It has been frustrating. We had Covid, I made my debut and got a buzz for fighting again, got a call-up to fight and the next minute it gets called off.
“I’ve had three opponents pull out, then I end up having to do a move-about and after a minute or so I end up getting cut.
“Honest to God, if I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any!”
Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport on Twitter via @LanLiveSport, like us on Facebook or find us on Instagram for the latest sports news, pictures and video.