Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Shelagh Parkinson & Thomas Molloy

Cinderella horse-drawn carriage driver has licence suspended for using phone

The driver of a Cinderella-themed horse-drawn carriage has had their licence suspended after being caught using a mobile phone.

An enforcement officer spotted the offence as the carriage made its way down Blackpool Promenade in October of last year.

The driver, who hasn't been named, claimed they were using their phone to check the time of next change-over of horses.

READ MORE: Jabbed woman, 25, was unable to get fully-vaccinated because she 'disappeared' off NHS system

They have now had their licence suspended for four weeks following that transgression, as well as instances of not having the proper lights on and switching lanes suddenly at a junction, LancsLive reports.

Details of the offences emerged in the minutes of the council’s public protection sub-committee held on January 18, after the meeting itself was held behind closed doors.

Licensing enforcement officer Ryan Ratcliffe said on October 26 last year, the driver was seen using the wrong lane on the Promenade while approaching the junction with Chapel Street “causing vehicles to brake when cutting into the left lane to continue straight on”.

The minutes of the meeting add when a public protection officer approached the carriage, he saw the driver “was holding a mobile phone and looking at the screen whilst driving.”

Solicitor Allan Cobain, who represented the landau handler at the hearing, said his client “admitted having their mobile phone in their hand to look at the screen”.

However the minutes add the “sub-committee was informed that this was to briefly check the time due to an imminent changeover of horses and that it was not being used for calling or texting.”

A lack of familiarity with the vehicle was blamed for not having the side lights on although the Cinderella dome was lit up, while the failure to pull into the correct lane quickly enough had not caused other vehicles to brake sharply as claimed.

Members of the sub-committee said they were concerned passengers were being carried at the time of all three offences and the driver’s “actions had potentially caused public safety concerns.”

But they recognised the handler’s inexperience and remorse.

It was agreed to impose a four week suspension of the horse drawn hackney carriage driver’s licence, with a warning “that in the event of any future incidents the licence may be revoked.”

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.