Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Gautam S. Mengle

CID probe initiated against Arnab Goswami

Arnab Goswami (Source: ggg)

Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on Tuesday announced that a fresh probe would be conducted by the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID) against Republic TV founder Arnab Goswami in connection Alibaug resident Anvay Naik's suicide in 2018.

Naik and his mother Kumud had committed suicide in May 2018. Naik left behind a suicide note stating that Mr. Goswami and two others had not cleared ₹5.40 crore that were owed to him in exchange for services rendered, due to which he was taking the extreme step. The Alibaug police had at the time filed a case of abetment to suicide in connection with the matter.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Mr. Deshmukh said that a fresh probe had been ordered after Naik's daughter Adnya approached him earlier this year, alleging that the Alibaug police had not conducted a satisfactory probe in the matter.

"Orders to this effect have been communicated to the Director General of Police, Maharashtra and the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Pune," Mr. Deshmukh said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.