Chris Rogers is highly unlikely to play in the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston despite rejoining Australia’s squad in the Midlands.
The 37-year-old opener, who spent the week in London having tests on the injury he sustained on day two of the Lord’s Test against England, linked up with his team-mates in Nottingham on Friday evening, after the second day of their tour match at Derbyshire.
But even though Rogers appeared in good spirits at Derby on Saturday, walking four laps of the County Ground in the morning before having a few gentle throw-downs, it remains highly doubtful he will be passed fit in time for the Edgbaston Test, which starts on Wednesday.
Rogers was struck on the back of the head by a Jimmy Anderson short ball. He went on to score 173 in the first innings and 49 in the second before being forced to retire on the fourth day after suffering dizziness, telling his batting partner, David Warner, that he could see the Lord’s grandstand moving. That was later diagnosed by specialists in London as a vestibular injury, when damage to the inner ear affects balance and can cause vertigo and dizziness.
Peter Brukner, Australia’s team doctor, said: “Chris continues to improve and has rejoined the team. He will continue to increase his level of activity over the next couple of days and will be closely monitored by team medical staff.”
Australia have been keen to stress Rogers has not suffered another concussion, which kept him out of his side’s recent Test series in the West Indies.
Although the tourists said earlier in the week that they were hopeful Rogers would be fit for Edgbaston, it is understood he will have to come through a full training session on Monday to stand any chance of selection.
Brukner said: “From my point of view he needs to be free of all his symptoms, whether it’s fatigue or dizziness. And then he can go back to playing or to training. Obviously he has to get through some training sessions.
“That will be up to the coaches to decide but I imagine he’ll have to get through a couple of solid training sessions before he plays. That’s something we’ll have to sort out with the coaches before he plays.”
Shaun Marsh, who scored a century on the first day of the Derbyshire match, is on standby to open in Birmingham.