Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Entertainment
Lusha Zhang and Stephanie Nebehay

WHO declares global emergency as China virus death toll reaches 170

Workers make protective suits at a factory, as the country is hit by an epidemic of the new coronavirus, in Chaohu, Anhui province, China January 28, 2020. China Daily via REUTERS

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday it was declaring the coronavirus outbreak that has killed 170 people in China a global emergency, as cases spread to at least 18 countries.

The vast majority of the more than 7,800 cases detected globally, according to the latest WHO data, have been in China, where the virus originated in an illegal wildlife market in the city of Wuhan.

Excavators and workers are seen at the construction site where the new Huoshenshan Hospital is being built to treat patients of a new coronavirus on the outskirts of Wuhan, China January 27, 2020. Picture taken January 27, 2020. China Daily via REUTERS

But nearly 100 cases have emerged in other countries, spurring cuts to travel, outbreaks of anti-China sentiment in some places and a surge in demand for protective face masks.

In Hubei province - of which Wuhan is the capital - some 60 million people are living under virtual lockdown as China seeks to contain the epidemic.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, praised China's response in a news conference in Geneva but said the WHO was concerned about the virus spreading to countries that did not have the resources to deal with it.

A woman wearing a face mask and goggles uses an escalator near Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

"The main reason for this declaration is not because of what is happening in China but because of what is happening in other countries. Our greatest concern is the potential for the virus to spread to countries with weaker health systems," he said.

The move will trigger tighter containment and information-sharing guidelines to all countries, but may disappoint Beijing, which had expressed confidence it can beat the "devil" virus.

Experts are particularly concerned about person-to-person transmission cases outside China, which suggest greater potential for the virus to spread further. The United States became the fourth country to report such a case on Thursday.

People wearing face masks walks outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

Officials from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the flu-like virus was confirmed in a man in Illinois, bringing the total number of U.S. cases to six. The man's wife, who was also infected, had previously travelled to China, but he had not.

"The vast majority of cases outside China have a history of travel to Wuhan or history of contact with someone with a travel history to Wuhan," said Teros.

Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, said the WHO decision was "absolutely right."

A man wearing a face mask uses his cellphone while smoking outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

"Declaration of an international emergency will undoubtedly sharpen governments' focus on protecting citizens," Farrar said. The needed public health measures would be a "challenge" for all countries, but would be especially difficult for lower-income countries, he added.

The virus has spread quickly since the WHO's Emergency Committee last met a week ago. But there has been no death reported outside China and neither has the virus emerged in Africa.

Italy became the latest country to declare confirmed cases on Thursday. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said two cases had been detected.

A man wearing a face mask pushes his luggage at a footbridge near Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

GRAPHIC: Tracking the novel coronavirus https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-MAP/0100B59S39E/index.html

ECONOMIC IMPACT

People wearing face masks look for products at a pharmacy as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

Tedros said the WHO "doesn't recommend - and actually opposes" restrictions on travel or trade with China.

Nonetheless, foreign governments have been flying home their citizens from Hubei and holding them in quarantine, while airlines including Air France, American Airlines and British Airways have stopped flying to mainland China.

Economists fear the impact could be bigger than the 2002-2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic, which killed about 800 people and cost the global economy an estimated $33 billion. China now accounts for a larger share of the world economy and markets have been spooked since news of the virus emerged earlier this month. [MKTS/GLOB]

A woman wearing a face mask rides a bicycle as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

Companies have also been rattled. Alphabet Inc's Google and Sweden's IKEA were the latest big names to close China operations. China dominated U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell's news conference on Wednesday.

In China, thousands of factory workers on Lunar New Year holidays may struggle to get back to work next week due to travel restrictions, while in Hubei itself locals and visitors are living a new reality.

"Most of the shops are closed. We cannot go out and buy food," Si Thu Tun, one of 60 students from Myanmar trapped in Wuhan, told online news outlet the Democratic Voice of Burma.

A woman gets help to fit her face mask outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

"Honestly, I have one big potato and three packs of instant noodles and some rice," he said.

GRAPHIC: Online package of China virus news https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH/0100B59Y39P/index.html

A delivery man passes a bag over the wall at a residential compound as the country is hit by an epidemic of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Tony Munroe

(Reporting by Pei Li, Gabriel Crossley, Cate Cadell, Kevin Yao and Muyu Xu in Beijing; Samuel Shen and David Stanway in Shanghai; Josh Smith, Sangmi Cha and Joyce Lee in Seoul, Chang-Ran Kim in Tokyo and Se Young Lee; Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva; Kate Kelland in London; Crispian Balmer in Rome; Thu Thu Aung in Yangon; Ben Blanchard in Taipei; Writing by Alex Richardson and Rosalba O'Brien; Editing by Frances Kerry and Lisa Shumaker)

People wearing face masks walks outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wearing face masks walks outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A man wearing a face mask stands next to his scooter outside a subway station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A man wearing a face mask enters a restaurant as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A man wearing a face mask and protective goggles walks along the street as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wear face masks in a village outside Donglin Temple that is under lockdown because of the coronavirus outbreak, according to staff, in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, China, January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
A man wears a face mask in a village outside Donglin Temple that is under lockdown because of the coronavirus outbreak, according to staff, in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, China, January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
Men sit in a deserted restaurant street that normally caters for tourists in a village outside Donglin Temple that is under lockdown because of the coronavirus outbreak, according to staff, in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, China, January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
A man wears a face mask in a village outside Donglin Temple that is under lockdown because of the coronavirus outbreak, according to staff, in Jiujiang, Jiangxi province, China, January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
People wearing face masks carry their luggage as they walk outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A woman wearing a face mask walks along the street as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wearing face masks walk at a footbridge near Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wearing face masks carry their luggage as they walk outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A man wearing a face mask uses his cellphone outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wearing face masks carry their luggage as they use an escalator near Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
People wearing face masks carry their luggage outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
A woman wearing a face mask uses her cellphone as she walks outside Beijing Railway Station as the country is hit by an outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Beijing, China January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.