Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

China rejects claims fracking caused Sichuan quake: state media

Rescue workers are seen on the rubble of a collapsed building after earthquakes hit Changning county in Yibin, Sichuan province, China June 18, 2019. Picture taken June 18, 2019. Wang Qin/Chengdu Economic Daily via REUTERS

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chinese officials said there were no indications that a deadly earthquake in the southwestern province of Sichuan this week was caused by excessive shale gas fracking in the region, state media reported on Wednesday.

The comments come amid speculation in online forums that fracking had contributed to the 6.0 magnitude quake that killed 13 people and injured nearly 200 on Monday.

The quake-prone Sichuan is the site of extensive fracking operations and accounts for about a third of China's total shale gas production.

A woman stands near rescue workers searching for survivors in the rubble after earthquakes hit Changning county in Yibin, Sichuan province, China June 18, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer

But Wang Haitao, director of the China Earthquake Networks Center, said at a Tuesday press briefing that there was "no sufficient evidence" to suggest the quake was caused by shale gas exploration, state-owned tabloid The Global Times reported.

The paper cited a geologist with the China Earthquake Administration as saying that while U.S. scientists had found increases in seismicity near areas where there has been oil and shale gas exploration, there is no concrete scientific evidence to prove the connection.

The U.S. Geological Survey has said that fracking is the cause of only a small number of induced earthquakes in the United States, with most coming as a result of the disposal of waste fluids caused during oil production.

Rescue workers search for survivors in the rubble after earthquakes hit Changning county in Yibin, Sichuan province, China, June 18, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer

As many as 1,000 residents gathered outside a government building in Rongxian in Sichuan province earlier this year, blaming two recent earthquakes on shale gas exploration in the area. The county subsequently suspended fracking operations.

An April study by the Seismological Society of America also attributed a magnitude 5.7 quake in December 2018 and a magnitude 5.3 quake in January to fracking activities in the region.

The study said extensive fracking at the Changning shale gas block in Sichuan since 2010 has coincided with a dramatic increase in seismicity in the region.

Chinese geologists have also expressed concern that overdevelopment of hydropower resources has undermined the seismic stability of Sichuan, with some even blaming the catastrophic Wenchuan earthquake in 2008 on the large-scale damming of the region.

(Reporting by David Stanway; Editing by Sam Holmes)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.