Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
World
Brenda Goh & Neil Murphy

China fears second coronavirus outbreak may come from overseas visitors

China has reported a rise in new coronavirus infections as doctors in the central city of Wuhan warned its behaviour was still not well-understood.

Tough curbs imposed in China since January have reined in infections sharply since the height of the pandemic in February, although it has spread worldwide to infect 1.6 million people with 100,000 deaths.

But Chinese authorities fear the possibility of a second wave triggered by arrivals from overseas or asymptomatic patients.

"We can't say that there is no such potential risk," said Wang Xinghuan, president of Wuhan's Leishenshan hospital, its second built especially for virus patients.

While some experts do not expect a big second wave, thanks to China's stringent controls, the possibility could not be ignored, he told reporters.

Members of a medical assistance team as they board a plane at Wuhan Tianhe International Airport (China News Service via Getty Ima)

"At present, from the hospital perspective, our understanding of the virus is still very insufficient," Wang said, during a hospital tour organised by Wuhan officials.

For instance, it was not immediately clear how infectious asymptomatic people were, he added.

Doctors in China have seen some differences in virus behaviour from that experienced in Europe and the United States, said Zhao Yan, a doctor at Wuhan's Zhongnan Hospital.

"The most obvious one is that in Europe and the United States quite a few people lost their sense of taste and smell, (but) we saw very few such cases," Zhao told reporters.

The country was the centre of the outbreak last year (China News Service via Getty Ima)

The National Health Commission said 46 new cases were reported on Friday, including 42 from abroad, up from 42 a day earlier, as Hubei province, whose capital is Wuhan, reported no new cases for a seventh successive day.

Of the new imported cases, 22 were in the northeastern province of Heilongjiang, where Chinese nationals crossing over the border from Russia figured in a recent spike in cases.

Provincial health officials said all the new imported cases also involved such instances, though the province had one new local case in its capital, Harbin.

Most of the new cases are from travellers coming from abroad (AFP via Getty Images)
Scientist warn that the virus is not "well understood" (AFP via Getty Images)

Elsewhere, Inner Mongolia had a daily tally of 27 new imported cases by Saturday morning, also all from Russia, the region's health authority said.

The region's city of Manzhouli, along the border with Russia, said it was preparing a new hospital to treat virus patients that would be completed on Tuesday.

The rise in cases from abroad has spurred authorities in the southern city of Guangzhou to step up scrutiny of foreigners, ordering bars and restaurants not to serve clients who appear to be of African origin, the city's U.S. consulate said.

Anyone with "African" contacts faces mandatory virus tests followed by quarantine, regardless of recent travel history or previous isolation, it said in a statement, advising African-Americans or those who fear being targeted to stay away.

China detected 34 new asymptomatic cases on Friday, down from 47 the previous day, according to the health commission.

Mainland China's tally of infections now stands at 81,953. The death toll rose by three on Friday to 3,339.

 
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.