Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Tom Duffy

Chilling CCTV shows gunman trying to kill three young men outside chippy

This is the moment a pillion passenger on a motorbike tried to shoot three young men stood outside a Bootle chip shop on a summer's evening.

The men can be seen diving for cover as the pillion passenger on a motorbike opened fire at them. The gunman then climbed off the back of the motorbike, and fired a second shot as the men scrambled inside a shop. A passing Mercedes can be seen veering around the motorbike as the gunman opened fire.

The targeted shooting happened seconds after an innocent young woman walked into a shop on Hawthorne Road. The gunman fired straight into the mini-market, and left a large bullet hole in the glass front door.

The pillion passenger then jumped back on the motorbike which headed off in the direction of a Kirkdale. The ECHO has seen footage which shows members of the public arriving at the scene after the shooting, which happened in the heart of a residential area.

The three young men then emerge from the shop unscathed and make off down the road, as if nothing had happened.  They have chosen not to discuss the shooting with officers.

Police said the gunman, who was armed with a semi-automatic handgun,  fired two shots. Last week police release CCTV stills of the two men seen on the motorbike. Temporary Chief Inspector Matthew Moscrop said that the pillion passenger who fired the shots wore a distinctive black helmet with two prominent green stripes.

Yesterday a local man released a video of the incident to the ECHO, which happened at around 9.55pm last Wednesday.

Temporary Chief Insp Matthew Moscrop said: "Did you see these two males leaving the scene after the incident at 10pm? We know they rode along Hawthorne Road in the direction of Kirkdale - did you see where they went after that?

"If you were driving in the area at the time, we would urge you to check dashcam footage that might show them.We remain committed to tackling gun crime, stopping people who recklessly put the lives of others in danger and bringing them to justice.

“Our investigation to trace the two males responsible continues and we urge anyone who witnessed anything suspicious in the area, has dashcam footage or any information, to DM @MerPolCC or call 101 quoting 19100322004."

You can also contact @CrimestoppersUK anonymously via social media or on 0800 555 111 or via their online form at: https://crowd.in/mewhPe

A 31-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of a Section 1 firearm has been released under investigation.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.