Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
Petlee Peter

Mum distraught as kids allegedly attacked in mall, police fail in response

A mother has spoken of her shock after her two young sons were allegedly assaulted in an unprovoked attack at Westfield Belconnen.

The mum's harrowing ordeal was compounded by inaction from ACT police who've since admitted their response was not in line with the community's expectations.

The boys, aged two and four, were reportedly walking with their mother on the top floor of the shopping centre about 2pm on Friday when an unknown man approached them from behind and allegedly kicked them.

Westfield Belconnen and inset, an ACT Policing officer. Pictures by Melissa Adams, Keegan Carroll

The toddler suffered a broken nose in the attack, while his older brother sustained head injuries.

Police said on Sunday evening an 18-year-old man had been arrested in McKellar and charged in relation to the alleged assaults.

He is expected to face an ACT court on Monday.

Max, an employee at Celebrity Ink tattoo parlour, witnessed the incident and said the man kicked the younger boy so hard it sent him flying.

"The boy suffered a broken nose and the other boy, who was also kicked, seemed to have head injuries," he said.

"It was appalling."

Another eyewitness, who asked not to be named, described the attack as "brutal", noting that the man, who was wearing a red jumper, struck the children without any provocation.

"He viciously kicked the boys from behind right in front of the mum," the retail worker said.

Bystanders and shop staff quickly rushed to assist the family. Several members of the public managed to temporarily detain the man. However, he was released shortly after.

"He was let go soon after as we don't have the authority to detain him here," Max said.

The toddled and the preschooler were injured in an alleged 'unprovoked attack' on the second floor of Westfield Belconnen on Friday. Picture by Petlee Peter

Speaking on Sunday morning, the boys' distraught mother, who didn't want to be named, said she was still processing the ordeal and expressed frustration over the lack of communication from ACT Policing after her young boys were attacked.

"Multiple people, including myself, called the police repeatedly after the incident, but I haven't heard from them until now. I'm really concerned," she said.

A spokesperson for ACT Policing admitted officers did not follow the standard response protocol and that it was "not in line".

"The policing response to the incident was not in line with ACT Policing's expectations or the community's expectations and ACT Policing has apologised to the family," police said in a statement.

The assault is now subject to a criminal investigation and police are reviewing their response to the incident.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has information that could assist police is asked to contact Crime Stoppers via the Crime Stoppers ACT website quoting P2476092. Information can be provided anonymously.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.