Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Tiffany Lo

Child killers will not leave prison and instead die behind bars under new plans

Child murderers will be locked up for life and die in prison if new government laws are approved.

The change would mean killers are given whole-life orders and never released from jail.

It comes as prime minister Boris Johnson prepares to announce his latest crackdown on criminal punishment, according to The Sun.

Mr Johnson will announce the policy on October 14 when MPs are set to return to parliament.

The proposal will also see violent and sexual offenders serving at east two thirds of their full terms.

Suffold Strangler Steve Wright is one of the 60 serving prisoner who will die in prison (PA)

According to the Sunday Telegraph, a source said: "Most people think all parties and the courts have lost the plot on sentencing. We agree with the public.

"We will act as quickly and aggressively as we can, given Parliament does not want to do what the people want on crime, just as it doesn't on Brexit."

Sentencing Council rules say judges must give 'a life sentence to all offenders found guilty of murder'.

They must serve a minimum term before they can be considered a parole.

However, that does not apply to most child killers.

The new sentencing policy is suggested by PM Boris Johnson (Getty)

A campaigner told The Sun last night: "This is a good move. Life should mean life.

"Those who kill children should never receive parole."

About 60 serving prisoners who were convicted of the most heinous crimes were given whole-life orders.

Notorious child serial killer Rose West, who was convicted in 1995 of killing women and girls with husband, Fred, at their home in Gloucester, will die in prison.

Bus Stop Stalker Levi Bellfield, who killed 13-year-old Milly Dowler, will never be released from HMP Frankland, Durham.

A senior government source said: "We'll show how violent, dangerous criminals will be locked up for longer and how we'll put victims and families first."

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: "The Prime Minister last month ordered an urgent review into sentencing policy.

"We will bring forward proposals shortly."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.