Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Child hit and killed by car at Port Augusta

An eight-year-old boy has been hit and killed by a car at Port Augusta in South Australia's north.

Emergency services were called to Victoria Parade, a section of the Augusta Highway which is part of National Highway One, at about 7:00pm on Monday after reports a pedestrian had been struck.

Police said the local boy was rushed to hospital but could not be saved.

"The driver of the car, a 46-year-old woman from Port Augusta, wasn't physically injured but obviously extremely shaken up," Senior Constable Kylee Simpson said.

"[It's] extremely sad for everyone involved — family and emergency services."

Investigators from the SA Police Major Crash unit are examining the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The road was closed for several hours but has now reopened.

Police said it was too early in the investigation to determine if charges would be laid.

They have urged witnesses to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The boy's death takes South Australia's road toll to 28, two more than the same time last year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.