April 28--Call me.
That's what Bears general manager Ryan Pace encouraged other teams to do Wednesday when he talked vaguely about the NFL draft, which kicks off Thursday night at Roosevelt University's Auditorium Theatre.
Pace spoke to reporters at Halas Hall for 17 minutes about the process with the Bears ready to go on the clock with the 11th pick around 8:30 p.m.
"We have more than 11 names we're prepared to go with," Pace said, indicating he's willing to trade down.
Of course he is.
With the exception of the Rams and Eagles, who will select quarterbacks with the first two picks, all phone lines are open for all teams. Everyone is willing to listen and if you're bringing a bounty of picks -- as the Titans and Browns collected in their respective trades with the Rams and Eagles -- deals can be made.
Naturally, Pace didn't rule out a move up the board as everything is in play.
Signs point to the Bears making a quality addition to their defense with the 11th pick. Unless Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch enchants them, there might not be an offensive player worthy of a pick there. Three offensive tackles -- Laremy Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley and Jack Conklin -- could be gone in the first 10 picks and while no one at Halas Hall has declared Charles Leno the left tackle for seasons to come, it has been discussed. Those calling for the Bears to draft a left tackle in the first round forget how solid Leno was there in his first 13 NFL starts.
Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott probably goes in the top 10, too, and coach John Fox doesn't seem eager to use their top pick on a running back as he has had his most success rotating backs. The Bears aren't going to follow last year's selection of Kevin White with another wide receiver and it's a draft short on quality tight ends.
That brings us back to defense, where the team still needs playmakers even after signing three starters in free agency -- linebackers Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman and end Akiem Hicks. Cornerback is a need with former first-round pick Kyle Fuller and journeyman Tracy Porter, who rejuvenated his career last season. There are some solid first-round options, including Florida's Vernon Hargreaves, Ohio State's Eli Apple and Houston's William Jackson III. But drafting a cover man won't help complete the transition to Vic Fangio's 3-4 defense that began a year ago.
"It takes some time to tweak the roster to fit that scheme," Pace said. "But John and Vic have both stressed, 'Hey, we're a 3-4 base, but we're in sub 60 percent of the time now.' A lot of times it's a four-man front."
That means some 4-3 three-techniques "can fit in sub packages in certain situations if they're good pass rushers."