Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Japan News/Yomiuri
The Japan News/Yomiuri
Politics
The Yomiuri Shimbun

Cherry-blossom viewing party investigations set to change LDP dynamics

Chairpersons of the Diet affairs committees of ruling and opposition parties attend a meeting at the Diet building in Tokyo on Thursday. (Credit: The Yomiuri Shimbun)

Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's influence in the political world will inevitably diminish as prosecutors await an opportunity to question him voluntarily regarding dinner functions on the eve of cherry blossom viewing parties organized by Abe's office.

The issue is likely to change the dynamics within the Liberal Democratic Party.

While the government and the ruling parties aim to calm the situation by closing the current extraordinary Diet session Saturday as scheduled, the opposition parties are calling for Abe to be summoned to the Diet. The cherry blossom viewing party problem is likely to linger.

Regarding the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office's investigations, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said at a press conference on Thursday, "The government will refrain from answering questions on matters concerning the investigative authorities' activities."

There are inconsistencies between Abe's remarks in Diet sessions and the prosecutors' findings from their investigations on whether or not the shortfall of the dinner functions' expenses was covered by Abe's side. If the prosecutors find Abe's denial of covering the shortfall was not true, he will be dealt a major blow.

A senior member of the Hosoda faction, to which Abe used to belong, said: "It's simply a matter of hearing his side of the story. It's probably a necessary procedure in order to conclude that there will be no criminal actions against Abe."

The official said he does not expect the questioning to affect Abe's rumored return to the Hosoda faction by the end of next year. However, if a former prime minister is questioned by prosecutors, the impact will be huge.

"It will be difficult for [Abe] to work in the public arena as he did before. There will be no more talk about an attempt to become prime minister for the third time," a former cabinet minister said.

Abe, who stepped down in September, resumed political activities in his hometown of Yamaguchi Prefecture in November and has gradually increased his presence since then. He has ruffled feathers after repeatedly saying, "If it were me, I would dissolve the House of Representatives in January."

On Thursday evening, he attended a dinner with Hosoda faction upper house members, and on Wednesday evening, he and Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso attended a meeting of young lawmakers from the Hosoda and Aso factions in Tokyo. This was presumably to demonstrate the close relationship between the Hosoda faction, the largest, and the Aso faction, the second largest, as well as keeping in check the Nikai faction, whose presence is growing under the current Yoshihide Suga administration.

However, the request to question Abe appears to have thrown cold water on the aims of the major factions.

A government source expressed dissatisfaction over Abe's recent remarks, saying, "Dissolution of the lower house is exclusively up to Prime Minister Suga. Mr. Abe's remarks were uncalled for. He should be a little quieter."

Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.