Chelsea will not go to Club World Cup in Japan after FIFA ruling as Timo Werner receives support

By Joshua Smith

Here is your Chelsea evening digest on Thursday, September 9.

Blues will not be going to Japan

After their heroic Champions League win last season, the Blues were set to fly out to Japan later this year to take part in the Club World Championship – but it has now been confirmed that won't be happening.

The tournament, normally held in December, sees clubs from across the world who have won their region's equivalent of the Champions League battle it out for ultimate bragging rights.

But now, FIFA have said the tournament will no longer be held in Japan after the country reported a rise in the number of coronavirus cases.

A statement read : "FIFA can confirm that it has been informed today by the Japan Football Association (JFA) that, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and hosting situation in the country, they are no longer in a position to host the FIFA Club World Cup 2021.

"FIFA would like to thank the JFA for their work and commitment and looks forward to going back to Japan in the future. Further details about an alternative host for the FIFA Club World Cup 2021 will be announced by FIFA in due course."

Read the full story here.

Werner gets Rio Ferdinand's backing

Rio Ferdinand has backed Timo Werner to have a big season for the Blues.

The German international endured a mixed start to life at Stamford Bridge with reports this week already linking him with a move away.

But Rio is in no doubt just how good the striker could be.

"Werner will bang. Werner will bang next year," Ferdinand said on his Vibe with Five YouTube show.

"It is his first year in the country. People are forgetting he is settling in – during a pandemic by the way. This isn’t the easiest settling-in period.

"He has just come in, he has still got over 10 goals, he has still got over 10 assists by the way. The most goal involvements at the club."

The praise was eerily similar to boss Thomas Tuchel's evaluation of the striker last year.

Read the full story here.

'Forgotten man' could get Premier League debut

Many fans are excited to see Spaniard Saul Niguez pull on a Chelsea shirt this weekend following his arrival from Atletico Madrid on Transfer Deadline Day.

But, there could be one surprise name on the teamsheet at the back, with Thiago Silva potentially banned having missed international duty leaving Tuchel short at the back when they take on Aston Villa.

With Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger set to start, the last spot in the German coach's three-man defence is set to be taken by Trevoh Chalobah – or 'forgotten man' Malang Sarr.

Read the full story here.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.