Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Alex Crowe

Charges laid after pair caught trespassing at former Naval site

Two people will face court on Monday charged with trespassing at the former Naval Transmission Station in Lawson on the weekend.

Police allege the pair broke into the former Naval site with the intent to damage property.

A 21-year-old Downer man and a 22-year-old from Wamboin in NSW were arrested after police were called to the site at about 3.45pm on Sunday.

Police said they received reports of trespassers and damage to security equipments.

When police arrived, the alleged offenders had abandoned a vehicle and fled from the building on foot. They were unable to leave the site as the gates had been secured, a police spokesperson said.

Two other people will also face the ACT Magistrates Court on unrelated charges on Monday.

A 38-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man have been charged with three counts of theft and one count of providing a false name and address.

Police will allege the two offenders stole property from hardware stores on June 7, June 12 and June 15, including more than $2000 from a Belconnen hardware store and approximately $3000 of goods from a Majura hardware store.

On Sunday, two people in Narrabundah were arrested in relation to the thefts. Police say the two people provided false names and addresses to police during and after the arrests.

The former naval radio transmission station at Lawson. Picture: Richard Briggs
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.