Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
Nathan Fenno

Chargers, Raiders stadium ballot initiative in Carson complete

Feb. 24--The drafting of a ballot initiative to approve the plan by the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders to build a stadium in Carson is complete and will be made public shortly, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.

A second person, Fred MacFarlane of Carson2gether, the community group formed to support the stadium, said that attorneys are reviewing the initiative's language.

"I expect the review to be concluded in the near term," he said.

The initiative is the next step in the proposed $1.7-billion project on the site of a former landfill announced last week.

In the coming weeks, Carson2gether will try to gather the 8,041 signatures of registered voters in the city needed to qualify the initiative for the ballot.

When sufficient signatures are in hand, the stadium initiative can be approved by a vote of the Carson City Council or put to a public election. The involved parties hope to complete the process by June.

Backers of the proposed stadium at the old Hollywood Park racetrack in Inglewood collected enough signatures in support of their 187-page initiative last month. The Inglewood City Council could approve the measure as soon as tonight.

Follow Sam Farmer on Twitter @LATimesFarmer

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.