Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Gavino Borquez

Chargers’ Anthony Lynn talks about Melvin Gordon’s availability, role

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon returned to the team on Thursday, ending a 64-day holdout.

Coach Anthony Lynn, who normally doesn’t have a press conference on Thursday’s, spoke to the media and answered all questions in regards to Gordon.

First off, Lynn said there was a time where he didn’t think that Gordon was going to return to the team, and they had been prepared just in case he continued to his holdout through the whole season.

Gordon, who is set to practice on Thursday, is not pencilled to play on Sunday against the Dolphins at the moment. Lynn said the team will gauge where he’s at the next couple of days to figure out the most optimal approach.

It’s up in the air whether or not he will travel with the team to Miami, but if he does, his playing time remains to be seen. Lynn didn’t rule out the possibility of him playing, but it’s doubtful.

Once the former Wisconsin product is ready to go, Lynn said that Los Angeles will use him just like they used to, which means that he will resume as the duties as the starting running back.

“No doubt, no doubt. He’s our starter. He was our starter for a reason,” Lynn said.

As for Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson, Lynn said they will still have major roles in the offense, but as soon as Gordon’s ready, he’ll go back to the No. 1 back.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.