Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Business
Joanna Bourke

Chapel Down closes gin works bar in King's Cross

Unique: Francesco Canessa makes a gin cocktail at the Chapel Down bar (Picture: NIGEL HOWARD ©)

Chapel Down has closed its King’s Cross micro-gin distillery and bar after just a year of trading, the drinks firm famous for English sparkling wine told the Evening Standard on Friday.

Frazer Thompson, chief executive of the NEX-listed company backed by City veteran Michael Spencer, said: “Although we got great reviews and gave customers a terrific experience, we couldn’t get the scale of traffic we needed to make it profitable.”

He added that the site closed this month, and said: “Always difficult when the staff have been so fantastic.”

The boss did not say how much the Kent-based business invested there.

The venue, on a huge site being redeveloped by a consortium including property firm Argent, was situated further away from the main restaurants and bar hubs at King’s Cross, including Granary Square and Coal Drops Yard.

James Rayner at Argent said footfall across the estate was over 11.5 million last year, up 15%. He added that the gin works was a temporary site, intended for other development plans in the future.

No details on when the lease was due to expire were given, but the bar has closed earlier than expected. Chapel Down’s website said it will be contacting customers that have bookings outstanding, offering refunds or alternative offers.

The company added that its gins can still be bought elsewhere.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.