The organizers of CES said Friday that next week's giant consumer electronics show in Las Vegas will go forward in person, but will end one day early.
Why it matters: The event is a major revenue source for the Consumer Technology Association, but many large tech companies and media outlets are choosing not to attend in person amid the fast-spreading Omicron variant of Covid-19.
The latest: CTA said in a statement that it was shortening the show to run Jan. 5-7 "as an additional safety measure." The organization did not immediately respond to a question from Axios as to how ending a day early would increase safety.
- Since last week, many key companies including Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, Google, Twitter, AT&T have announced they were scrapping in-person attendance.
- T-Mobile, a major sponsor, said it would not appear in person and that CEO Mike Sievert would not deliver a keynote as scheduled.
- Most large tech media organizations are also covering the event remotely, including CNET, Engadget, The Verge, TechCrunch, IGN and TechRadar.
Yes, but: CTA noted on Friday that more than 2,200 companies will be there in person, including 143 added in just the last two weeks.
- Attendees will required to be vaccinated and to do a self-test before entering the event.