A move to the League of Ireland for Celtic hero Leigh Griffiths has been shot down after fan assumptions at a skip.
Derry City manager Ruaidhri Higgins was left bemused when punters told him at a local 'dump' that his clubs had agreed a deal for the striker, with hometown boy and current Wigan star James McClean another rumoured to be supposedly on his way. Griffiths is currently training with Livingston after a turbulent year for the forward who only last year signed a Celtic contract extension.
He's since had mixed spells at Dundee and Falkirk while a short stint in Australia with Mandurah City failed to bring anything longer-term. Rumours have floated on where the forward who scored over 100 times for the Parkhead side could go next, but it won't be to the Republic of Ireland. And he won't have an established international from the country whipping balls into him either.
READ MORE: Celtic lose out to Real Madrid in UEFA Youth League with Los Blancos scoring inside TEN seconds
Higgins told the Derry Journal: "It's funny, I actually went to the dump on Monday and I was there for about two minutes, throwing a lot of bags into the skip and two work men said 'I hear Leigh Griffiths is done' and then literally two other people, who were also at the dump said the same.
"So within two minutes, four people basically said; 'I heard that you got Leigh Griffiths done' and to be honest it made my morning, it was funny actually."
"Look, I would take James every day of the week, but it's unrealistic. He loves the club, he's a supporter of the club, follows us and he's a proud Derry man and he's delighted when we do well, but that's all it is at the minute."
- Real Madrid 5 Celtic 1 as holders teach Hoops major lesson with VAR's help - 3 things we learned
- Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou never fears the worst as he's left 'really proud' of European efforts
- Celtic player ratings v Real Madrid as Jota nets goal to remember but hosts class blows Hoops away
- Celtic lose out to Real Madrid in UEFA Youth League with Los Blancos scoring inside TEN seconds
- Ange Postecoglou approaching Celtic legend status as 'essential' achievement for greatness stated