An inmate has been charged with causing the death of a Songkran drink-driver detained in Si Sa Ket prison as an investigation continues into the death and possible negligence by prison officials.
The announcement followed a visit by Corrections Department chief Naras Savestanan and his deputy Pol Lt Col Prawut Wongsrinil to the prison yesterday.
They were following up on the death of Prompanya Kethom, a drink-driver jailed after being unable to pay his fine during Songkran. Prison officials initially said he fell over in a washroom and died from his injuries.
However, Pol Col Naras said Samart Meekhun, one of Prompanya's cellmates, had been charged with colluding in physical assault causing death.
The department chief said the investigation had progressed and was now being extended to find others involved.
At this stage no prison officials have been implicated, but some may have been negligent in their duty, resulting in the assault leading to the death of a prisoner, Pol Col Naras said.
He was awaiting the results of a fact-finding probe by the Ubon Ratchathani prison chief.
The dead man's mother, Surin Kethom, petitioned the Justice Ministry on Wednesday, saying her family was not convinced he died from falling off a bathtub.
Prompanya, 40, was behind bars because his family could not afford to pay a 6,000-baht fine for drink driving.
He was nabbed on April 14 during the Songkran festival.
The family suspected Prompanya was badly beaten.
Relatives said he had extensive bruising all over his body and his face was swollen when they went to the hospital to see him.