Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Entertainment
Heather Saul

Celebrity injunction: Decision over whether to uphold privacy order delayed until Monday

A celebrity at the centre of a privacy injunction has been told they will have to wait until midday on Monday to find out if the order will be overturned by judges. 

The Sun On Sunday wants to publish the name of the “well known” man’s alleged “extra-marital activities” but an injunction imposed by the Court of Appeal after he took legal action prevents them from doing so. 

Lawyers for The Sun on Sunday returned to court on Friday to ask judges to review the Court of Appeal’s decision and withdraw the injunction. 

They say the ban should go because the man - who is described as being in the entertainment business and in a relationship with someone who is also a well known individual in the same business - has been named by publications in the US, Scotland and other countries. The injunction only applies in England and Wales. 

The claimant has opposed the application and says the ban should stay in place. The court had been planning to announce its decision at 4pm but this has now been delayed until Monday. 

In their initial ruling granting the privacy order, judges said identifying the man and his partner and publishing the story would be “devastating” for him and would “generate a media storm”, which would, in turn, make their young children the subject of increased media attention. 

This was the first injunction to reach the Court of Appeal for five years. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.