Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Seamus McDonnell

CCTV footage shows Emily Jones' killer walking through Bolton minutes before deadly attack

CCTV footage showing Eltiona Skana walking though Bolton in the minutes before she killed schoolgirl Emily Jones has been released.

The video, which was shown in court, shows the 30-year-old travelling into Bolton town centre before leaving and walking towards Queen's Park, where she would later attack seven-year-old Emily.

Over the course of a seven-day trial a jury heard that Skana had sat on a bench in the park before springing up and grabbing the youngster as she travelled by on her scooter.

She had a craft knife which she used to cut Emily's throat. The youngster would die around two hours later, despite the desperate work of paramedics and doctors.

The CCTV footage shows Skana travelling over the bridge on Trinity Street towards Bolton town centre.

The court was told she travelled to Victoria Square, where she bought a pack of three craft knives from the Pound Empire store - one of these would later become her lethal weapon.

On the footage, jurors saw her travel into the Crompton Place Shopping Centre and using the toilet before leaving back out onto Victoria Square.


She then entered Poundworld and bought a drink before heading towards the park.

The last of the footage shows Skana heading out of the town on Deansgate in the direction of Spa Lane.

The court heard evidence that Skana had likely stopped taking her anti-psychotic medication shortly before this.

Simon Csoka QC, defending, told jurors a 'month's worth' of these pills were found in her home by police after her arrest.

Skana was yesterday given a life sentence with a minimum of eight years. She will be detained in hospital and only be sent to prison if her treatment allows it.

Separate video footage shown to the court, released by Greater Manchester Police following Skana's sentencing, showed the chilling moment Skana was arrested by police in Queen's Park.

She had initially fled the scene after killing Emily but was chased down by Tony Canty, a bystander who had been walking in the park with his wife.

He sat on her until police arrived and arrested her.

The footage shows police approaching Canty and picking Skana up from the ground.

She is then taken by officers towards a van which is parked at the Chorley New Road exit to Queen's Park.

An officer then puts Skana into the back of the van and they begin to ask her questions about what happened.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.