Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

CBI team formally takes over custodial deaths case

  (Source: THE HINDU)

An eight-member CBI team, led by Additional Superintendent of Police Vijaykumar Shukla, arrived in Thoothukudi on Friday to formally take over probe in the Sattankulam twin custodial deaths case.

The team received evidences and documents pertaining to the case from Anil Kumar, Investigating Officer of the CB-CID team, which probed the case on the directions of the Madras High Court (Madurai Bench). The State agency had arrested 10 policemen and recorded the statements of many witnesses.

Earlier in the day, CB-CID IGP K. Shankar said that the agency would hand over to the CBI all documents recovered from the Sattankulam police station, the Sattankulam and the Kovilpatti government hospitals and the Kovilpatti sub-jail and the statements of witnesses.

After receiving the documents, the CBI team had an over two-hour discussion with the CB-CID team including Superintendents of Police Vijayakumar and Madasamy.

The CBI is likely to approach the court next week to seek the custody of the accused for interrogation. Since the CBI investigators have to visit Sattankulam and Kovilpatti in connection with the case, the investigating agency is likely to have its office in Palayamkottai, sources said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.