Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Lifestyle
By Jessica Hayes

Catholic priest moved from church over 'personal and theological differences'

Father Nicholas Rynne began working in Tasmania earlier this year.

A Catholic priest in Tasmania's north has been removed from his post after what the Archdiocese of Hobart has described as "tension within the parish" and "disturbances".

In a statement, the Archdiocese said Father Nicholas Rynne would no longer service the Meander Valley Parish, which covers two churches in the towns of Deloraine and Westbury, near Launceston.

He had started working there earlier this year.

The Archdiocese said the "disturbances" referred to "personal and theological differences between parishioners, and between parishioners and Father Rynne".

Father Rynne's departure from the parish came after the church called in a retired Melbourne bishop to conduct a "visitation".

The church said the bishop, Peter Elliot, interviewed 86 people between March 25 and March 29.

"In the light of [Bishop Elliot's] recommendations and following discussion with diocesan consultors and the council of priests, Father Nicholas Rynne has ceased his role as administrator at the Meander Valley Parish, and other associated roles in the Archdiocese," Hobart Archbishop Julian Porteous said.

It is understood a parishioner had sent a letter of complaint to the Archdiocese, which included allegations only men were allowed to serve at the altar, and concerns about mass held in Latin.

The Archdiocese confirmed they had received a number of complaints, along with letters of support for Father Rynne.

Separately, Tasmanian police are investigating an alleged assault at the Redeemer Catholic Church at Deloraine.

Police said a 38-year-old man and a 77-year-old woman were pushed and grabbed by three churchgoers during an altercation on Saturday night.

It is understood Father Rynne was one of the alleged victims.

The ABC contacted Father Rynne for comment.

"The Dean of the North, Father Mark Freeman, has agreed to act as moderator of the Meander Valley Parish for the immediate future," Archbishop Porteous said.

"We pray that a process of healing and restoration of unity may be achieved in the parish and among all affected."

The Archdiocese says masses will continue at both churches.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.