Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
World
TOI World Desk

Carrie Johnson fears UK black cab rapist John Worboys had up to 1,000 victims

Carrie Johnson, wife of former prime minister Boris Johnson, has said the true number of victims of convicted UK black cab rapist John Worboys could be far higher than officially recorded, claiming the figure may run into "1,000 or more".

Speaking on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Johnson recounted her own experience with Worboys and spoke about the years-long process that eventually led her to give evidence against him.

According to ITV News, Johnson said several women had contacted her on Instagram believing they too may have travelled in Worboys’ taxi. She urged anyone who may have been a victim to come forward.

“His crimes span from 2000 up to when he was convicted in 2009 and he was a cab driver for that duration out potentially every night in his cab so there could be up to 1,000 if not more than that,” she said.

Johnson said she was 19 when she got into Worboys’ cab after a night out in Chelsea. During the journey, he allegedly claimed he had won money at a casino and offered her a celebratory drink. She said she consumed only a small amount and refused further offers before he dropped her home. Minutes after entering her house, she became severely unwell and started vomiting. She later handed investigators his phone number, which became part of the evidence used against him.

Worboys is currently serving a life sentence. He was first jailed in 2009 for 19 sexual offences involving 12 victims. In 2019, he received two additional life sentences after admitting to further offences dating back to 2000.

Last week, the Parole Board ruled that Worboys continued to pose a high risk of committing serious sexual offences. It also noted that he had indicated he would not seek release at this stage.

Johnson said she did not believe his reported expressions of remorse. She also criticised the way police handled rape complaints, alleging that officers questioned her credibility when she first reported the incident.

She further pointed to the ITV drama Believe Me, which began airing on May 10, saying it had encouraged more women to come forward with their experiences. Johnson said she hoped the renewed attention on the case would help ensure Worboys “never gets out” of prison.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.