Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
Sport
Daryl Van Schouwen

White Sox’ Carlos Rodon eyes return near 2020 All-Star break

Carlos Rodon throws against the Baltimore Orioles during the first inning on May 1 in Chicago. It was Rodon’s last appearance of the season. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh | AP Photos

Like right-handers Michael Kopech and Dane Dunning, lefty Carlos Rodon is counting down the days during rehab from Tommy John surgery and looking forward to next season.

That’s when Rodon, the White Sox Opening Day starter who had his left elbow fixed in May, should return to bolster the 2020 starting rotation.

While Kopech, who had his surgery in September, is expected to begin spring training without restriction, Rodon won’t be ready till mid-season if all goes well.

“Tentatively I’m thinking, my guess is right around All-Star break [in July],” Rodon said Tuesday.

While not all Tommy John recipients come back at 100 percent, most do and that’s what Rodon, who was just getting into full swing after recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery, is banking on. Some are even better velocity-wise than before.

“That’s what they say,” Rodon said. “I’m hoping I come back better, healthier. It’s been a little while since I’ve been healthy. Hopefully after all this, I won’t have anything else -- knock on wood -- and pitch for another 10 years.”

Rodon, a frequent visitor to the Sox clubhouse, said the rehab process is getting “tedious and monotonous.”

“But in October I’ll start throwing,” he said. “Maybe it will be more exciting.”

In the meantime, the July birth of their first child, a daughter, for he and wife Ashley softened the blow of not having baseball.

And thoughts of an improved team in 2020 allow for something to look forward to. Building on a good August with a solid final month of 2019 would be good to see in that regard, Rodon said.

“We had a good little run, then stumbled after the All-Star break,” he said, “but it looks like we’re turning it around a little bit. I’m just hoping for a good, strong finish to kick us off for next year, and hopefully we can make a run at something.”

Perhaps Rodon will join the fray just when the rotation needs a lift.

“You can’t really say when you’re going to be ready, there’s no date on it,” he said. “It just happens.”

Back in left

Eloy Jimenez was back in left field after being limited to designated hitter duty while working through a sore right hip flexor.

Jimenez’ defense needs work, and no better place to get it than on the job, manager Rick Renteria said.

”I need him out there, I need him to play games out there so he can improve,” Renteria said. “The only way you’re going to get that is with experience out there.”

Confidence in Herrera

Despite being limited to 10 games after the All-Star break last season due to a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot, the Sox signed right-handed reliever Kelvin Herrera to a two-year, $18 million contract which includes a $10 million club option for 2021 with a $1 million buyout. Herrera, who owned a 7.78 ERA going into Tuesday’s game against the Twins, has not been himself but for a couple of brief stretches.

“The injury played a big part of where he is at,” Renteria said.

Herrera also worked through an oblique strain in late July and early August. Herrera’s last seven outings had been scoreless efforts, but he allowed a season-high tying five runs on Aug. 20 at Minnesota.

“Do I feel confident he can turn it around? Yes I do,” Renteria said. “My expectation is as we finish the season he’ll put himself back on track.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.