Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Liam James

Captain Tom Moore: National clap to be held at 6pm

Photograph: AFP/Getty

Boris Johnson has urged people across the country to join in a national clap for Captain Sir Tom Moore at 6pm on Wednesday.

The prime minister said Captain Tom dedicated his life to others, telling the House of Commons: "We all now have the opportunity to show our appreciation for him and all that he stood for and believed in.

"That is why I encourage everyone to join in a national clap for Captain Tom and all those health workers for whom he raised money at 6pm this evening."

The Second World War veteran died yesterday at the age of 100 after capturing Britain’s heart in the early days of the pandemic when he raised more than £30m for the NHS.

Another highlight from the first lockdown was the national Clap for Our Carers, which saw people around the country take to their windows and doorsteps to applaud healthcare workers facing the brunt of the coronavirus crisis.

Read more: Remembering Captain Tom Moore, the war veteran who raised millions for NHS and inspired a nation

The prime minister has now asked for the public to revive the practice in honour of the record fundraiser, who was knighted last summer for his efforts. 

Mr Johnson’s call came after MPs observed a minute’s silence in the House of Commons in memory of Captain Tom.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the speaker, said the departed captain “exemplified the best of our values” and paid tribute to his “dignity and determination”.

Captain Tom had been taken to hospital on Sunday after being treated for pneumonia for some time and testing positive for coronavirus last week.

His family praised the care he had received from the NHS and said they had been able to spend time with him in his final hours.

Tributes have flooded in since the announcement of Captain Tom’s death from an overwhelming number of public figures including Joe Wicks, David Beckham, Sir Keir Starmer and the Queen, who Buckingham Palace said will send a private message of condolence to his family.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.