Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Finn McHugh

Canberrans can 'definitely' make South Coast Christmas plans: Barr

Canberrans can "definitely" make Christmas plans on the South Coast and in Victoria, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has declared, as the territory enters its last week of lockdown.

Another 25 cases of coronavirus were recorded in the ACT in the last reporting period, bringing the total number of active cases to 430.

With NSW set to reopen from Monday under new Premier Dominic Perrottet, Mr Barr said it was "difficult to tell" what the full impact would be.

He said nothing would change in current arrangements between the ACT and NSW until October 15.

"Beyond that, we'll hear from NSW ahead of the ACT coming out of lockdown, and we will make some further announcements," Mr Barr said.

"It remains to be seen exactly what NSW's policy approach will be around localised lockdowns, and the distinction between the great Sydney area, or local government areas of concern ... and freedom and travel around regional NSW.

"So there's a few more steps to go."

Can I make Christmas travel plans?

Mr Barr said despite Victoria lagging slightly behind on vaccination, there was "every expectation" the border would be open by December.

"People can definitely make Christmas and summer holiday plans for the South Coast and for Victoria, based on their current vaccination rates," he said.

"It's the period between October 15 and the first of December, that things will be done in stages.

"It will be somewhat dependent on the decisions of the NSW and Victorian governments."

The chief minister warned there were still tens of thousands of second doses set to be administered in the coming weeks.

"We're not going to be doing anything crazy with restrictions or borders until we've got that cohort through," he said.

"I don't really care what NSW do, we will still be cautious."

It comes after the ACT recorded 40 cases on Thursday.

The ACT recorded another 25 COVID-19 cases on Friday. Picture: Elesa Kurtz
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.