Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Sarah Basford Canales

Canberran Hazaras slam online panel for including Taliban guests

Canberra Hazara president Hussain Muhammad (main image) is pleased an appearance by senior Taliban figure Suhail Shaheen (inset bottom left) on an Australian online panel has been cancelled. Immigration Minister Alex Hawke (inset top left) welcomed the news. Pictures: Sitthixay Ditthavong, Getty Images, Karleen Minney

Members of Canberra's Hazara community are outraged after a now-cancelled online panel made plans to include senior figures within the Taliban to discuss the role of Muslim Australians in Afghanistan's future.

A virtual discussion organised for Saturday by the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils has been cancelled following strong criticism from Australia's Muslim community and Immigration Minister Alex Hawke over the inclusion of two figures from the Taliban.

The council's president Dr Rateb Jneid on Thursday released a statement, confirming the panel had been called off.

Dr Jneid said it had been the council's intention to gain assurances from senior Taliban figures that human rights and rights for women would be upheld in the panel.

The online event was first published on Wednesday to heavy backlash by Muslim-Australians, particularly Afghan-Australians and those of the Hazara ethnic minority group.

An online panel organised by the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils has been called off after backlash for including two senior Taliban figures. Picture: Facebook

ACT Hazara community president Hussain Muhammad said he was pleased to see the event was cancelled but remained concerned it could happen again without community vigilance.

"It is the responsibility of all of us to be careful and pay attention to the sensitivity of issues of public concern," he said.

"Our acts should not send mixed messages to issues of national [and] international importance that could jeopardise Australia's national security and interest."

He called on politicians to make inquiries into the connections between the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and local groups in Australia.

Mr Hawke thanked the Islamic and Afghan community on Twitter for their cooperation in cancelling the event.

"I welcome cancellation of this event with Taliban spokespeople," he said.

"There is no circumstance where it's acceptable to Australians."

The immigration minister on Thursday announced a new settlement package for evacuees from Afghanistan, totalling $27.1 million over two years.

The funding includes $8 million for community organisations supporting Afghan-Australians, $6.4 million for those on humanitarian visas to access legal services and $4.8 million for evacuees to identify education and workforce pathways.

An additional $7.9 million will be given to a trauma support program to provide evacuees with mental health services.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.