
Carparks across Canberra were bursting over the long weekend, a welcome relief for many venues which have returned from a forced hiatus to buzzing, and physically distanced, crowds.
The National Zoo and Aquarium business manager Russell Jackson said there had been "healthy crowds" walking through the gates since it reopened two weeks ago.
"We always judge on a day-to-day basis on the carpark ... both our carparks have been full pretty much every day over the two long weekends," he said.
"Once they [visitors] are in the gates they've got a huge space to run around in, so social distancing hasn't been a problem."
A sunny winter day had Canberrans flocking to soak up the sun and escape their homes on the Queen's Birthday public holiday, as the Australian National Botanic Gardens reached capacity on Monday. The National Arboretum was similarly very busy.
Bernadette Searl and Alyce Quod have struggled to balance working remotely and helping their sons with school. They've been getting outside every day but were glad Canberra's attractions were back.
On Monday the families relished the opportunity for a picnic in the gardens.
"It's been very strange to work from home ... and then have kids at home," Ms Quod said.
"We would get out everyday and go for a 5km bike ride to get outside and soak up the sun. That's kept me sane."
Carparks have been closed at the Botanic Gardens to keep maximum capacity 20 per cent below normal and allow for physical distancing, ranger Ben Harvey said.
"We're definitely seeing increased visitation this weekend," he said.
"We have a big site where people can space out and for the most part people are doing the right thing."
High traffic areas have restrictions to ensure people go the same direction and hand sanitiser stations are dotted throughout the park.
"We're actively patrolling and trying to encourage social distancing and good hygiene measures," Mr Harvey said.
Patrolling large groups is harder for indoor venues. Many are only taking bookings.
The National Dinosaur Museum's hour sessions capped at 20 people have been booked out all weekend, with plenty more people walking in, supervisor Brittany Burgess said.
"We've been having to monitor numbers upstairs quite extensively. We've been so, so busy," she said.
For those not taking advantage of the return of Canberra's attractions, the long weekend was a chance to get away to the coast.
Thousands of Canberrans made their way over the Clyde Mountain to the joy of local traders, after a tumultuous start to the year.

"It felt like Christmas," Batemans Bay business and tourism council president Alison Miers said.
"There's people everywhere, accommodation is strongly booked and there's suddenly a very positive feeling back in the town," she said.
"It felt like the shutters went down on March 23 and now they're back up again."