Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Josh Callinan

Campbell takes 'fresh' approach to Tokyo '21

BACK AGAIN: Three-time Olympian Richie Campbell training with the Australian men's water polo squad in Newcastle last month. Picture: Marina Neil

RICHIE Campbell admits it has been "difficult", both physically and mentally, over the last 12 months.

Not only the uncertainty of whether or not the already rescheduled Games will go ahead in Tokyo later this year, but prolonging his decorated career for another international campaign.

However, the 33-year-old Novocastrian remains focused on making a fourth and final Olympics with the Australian men's water polo squad by mixing up his own training techniques in order to stay "fresh".

"It's been more difficult than I thought it would be," Campbell told the Newcastle Herald.

"My career is coming to an end and it's not that you shut off, but you can start to see the finish line.

"So it's been difficult mentally as well as physically. Not that you're not there it's just that you don't feel the same as when you're 25.

"And always in the back of your mind is 'what if it doesn't go ahead' even though everyone is trying to stay positive about it.

"I've been trying to mix it up a bit and do things a little different to stay fresh.

"I've spent a lot more time focusing on my body because I haven't forgotten how to play or game plans.

"My swimming has always been strong, but I want to keep that up plus it's low impact.

"Same at the gym because I can't lift what I used to, my joints just don't hold up, so it's about rehabilitation, strength and conditioning."

Campbell, who has already helped the Aussies book a Games berth, has been keeping an eye on the last Olympic qualification tournament in The Netherlands this week with three spots up for grabs.

"It's been really interesting because The Netherlands beat Germany which I didn't expect to happen," he said.

"So it shows some upsets are on the cards because teams are training together rather than playing competitions. Which is what we're actually doing. We haven't had many games, but we train together every day."

Preparations continue for the Sharks with a second training camp in as many months based out of Newcastle.

Sessions start at Merewether Baths on Thursday, shift to Lambton Pool on Friday and Sunday with seven Sydney Super League matches being hosted by the Hunter Hurricanes in the harbour at Queens Wharf on Saturday.

Campbell rates both the "mini-tournament" concept and national training camps outside of the state capital.

He'll be sidelined for club side UNSW having dislocated the pinky finger on his left hand recently, but expects to complete non-contact training with his Aussie teammates over the weekend.

"I've still got to get a few more scans but I should be fine. I won't be able to play on the weekend, which is disappointing, but I'm back doing non-contact training already. Because it's my left hand I can still get in and shoot and do drills," he said.

Campbell, who hails from Merewether but now lives in Sydney, was home training at his old Hunter Swim Club over the Christmas and New Year period.

READ ALSO:

For faster access to the latest Newcastle news download our NEWCASTLE HERALD APP and sign up for breaking news, sport and what's on sent directly to your email.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.