Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Khartoum - Asharq Al-Awsat

Calm Day in Khartoum, Calls for Night Protests

Sudanese demonstrators run from teargas as they march along the street during anti-government protests in Khartoum, Sudan December 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah/File Photo

Khartoum has witnessed a calm day, while Sudanese Professional Association (SPA) called for night protests in two popular areas in Khartoum on Tuesday.

Sudan’s Doctors’ Committee said in a terse on Monday that a university student was shot in the head. This raises the number of dead to three last Thursday. SPA urged for continuous protests throughout the night.

Minister of Information Mamoun Hassan Ibrahim accused a left-group of conducting actions against the citizens' security, noting that high committees are following up the occurrences along with various security bodies.

During a press conference in Khartoum, Ibrahim said that the security bodies are working on securing the state and citizens.

Ibrahim stressed the citizens’ right to protest and express freely, as he admitted that there is an actual crisis, but he set a condition that protesters should demonstrate without neglecting the state.

Communist Party Secretary Mohammad Mokhtar al-Khatib said in another news conference that the regime is cracking under the pressure of the fight. He denounced the aggression and violence practiced by the regime against people.

Khatib vowed to keep up the struggle to oust the regime and establish a civil and democratic state.

National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) General Salah Abdallah Gosh affirmed that the NISS seeks to safeguard citizens, and accused a demonstrator of killing doctor Babeker Abdul Hamid last Thursday.

NISS has pictures that show the moment the doctor was killed, said Gosh, pledging to arrest the committer.

Further, Al Arabiya announced that Sudanese authorities have revoked press accreditation of Al Arabiya’s Khartoum correspondent Saad el-Din Hassan. Sudanese officials initially detained then released Hassan earlier this month after he was summoned for questioning following his reporting of the recent protests in the country.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.