Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Health

Calls to lockdown all remote Barkly communities as COVID cases rise

Barb Shaw fears COVID is spreading in the region as people move between communities. (ABC News: Samantha Jonscher)

A peak Aboriginal health clinic has backed calls for the Northern Territory government to lockdown all remote communities after a surge in COVID-19 cases across the region.

In the community of Ali Curung, which reported its first COVID case on Sunday, only 34 per cent of residents have had two doses of a COVID vaccine.

The community, 170 kilometres south of Tennant Creek and 378km north of Alice Springs, went into lockdown on Sunday, whereas its service centre, Tennant Creek, was locked down on Friday.

Tennant Creek is expected to stay under lockdown orders until Wednesday after a surge in cases.

Tennant Creek has a double vaccinated rate of 69 per cent, while 83 per cent of residents have had a first dose. 

Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation's chief executive Barb Shaw said she has held discussions with Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT).

"Anyinginyi is right behind AMSANT with its call to lockdown the major communities throughout the Barkly, and absolutely agree this is the only way to move to contain people movement," she said.

Ms Shaw said the region had a spider web of roads that connected communities

Ms Shaw said there had to be a contain and test approach right across the region.

"It has to be consistent. If you do it just for Tennant Creek, it's not going to work because of the network throughout the Barkly."

Need evidence to lockdown

Health Minister Natasha Fyles said the response to the Tennant Creek outbreak and the one case in Ali Curung needed to be appropriate.

Natasha Fyles says any measures taken need to be proportionate. (ABC News: Hamish Harty)

"We can't simply lock people down on the basis that we suspect people have travelled or we suspect we might have cases we do need to have evidence.

"These are big decisions."

Not the time to close health clinics

Member for Barkly Steve Edgington said it was appalling the public were still waiting to learn about exposure sites.

Steve Edgington wants exposure sites to be released. (Supplied: Facebook)

"We went into lockdown on Friday. The government has had all of Friday, Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday, the website still doesn't have any exposure sites."

Mr Edgington said he was appalled at the decision to close health clinics in the region.

"We had the Acting Chief Minister, fronting a press conference on Friday putting Tennant Creek into lockdown, but at the same time the minister is obviously sitting in her office finalising the closure of Canteen Creek clinic," he said.

Mr Edgington said Canteen Creek also serviced the Epenarra community, which was roughly an hour away.

"The minister won't tell us who the close contacts are. We don't know how many of those close contacts have travelled around the Barkly.

"We've got a potential crisis on our hands."

What the experts know about the Omicron variant so far (Norman Swan)
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.