Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Anita Beaumont

Cafe's masking up to get down to business

Masked: Melanie Chapman, of Pegs Cafe, said they had quickly re-grouped to adhere to the increased restrictions again. Picture: Simone De Peak

HUNTER hospitality businesses are still reeling following the sudden reintroduction of increased COVID-19 restrictions on Saturday night.

Melanie Chapman, the owner of Pegs Cafe at Whitebridge, said they had about two hours to rearrange a 70th birthday party that was booked at the premises for Saturday evening.

"It was actually my dad's 70th," she said.

"I felt like it was really lucky that it happened to be booked out for a family party, because if it was a normal night, I would have had to call people and cancel."

Ms Chapman said they already had limited numbers coming to the party, and a few guests had decided not to attend.

"We made it work, but we really only had two hours to pull it together and get our head around all the new rules and make sure we had enough masks to go around," she said. "I didn't see the notification at first - I had been running around getting things ready for the party. My cousin messaged me and sent me the link."

Ms Chapman said they had since put more seating out the front of the cafe, and her staff were now required to wear a mask at all times, but their opening hours would continue "as normal".

Customers needed to wear a mask while ordering a takeaway at the counter, but those who were dining-in could take off their masks once seated to eat and drink.

Ms Chapman said there were a lot of unknowns about what the next few weeks would bring, which was hard on small businesses.

"Are we going to be busy or quiet? Are we going to make enough money to break even this week? Will I have to send staff home early? It has already been very quiet.

"We are still ordering stock and buying stock.

"We need people to keep supporting us, and businesses like ours in hospitality. The support was overwhelming last time, we can do it again this time."

Ms Chapman said they planned to reintroduce takeaway dinner packs this week.

"It's about ways we can generate enough money to keep our staff in jobs," she said.

In a Facebook post, Finnegan's Hotel in Newcastle announced it was "temporarily pausing" operations until Saturday, July 10, in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak in Sydney and the increased restrictions in regional NSW.

"As a nightlife venue in Newcastle, we do not believe it is in the best interests of the greater community to continue to trade whilst these restrictions are in place. We take the health, wellbeing, and safety of all our patrons and staff seriously," the post said.

Adamstown Bowling Club also announced a temporary, precautionary closure on the weekend following concerns a "casual contact" may have entered the club.

The club later clarified there had been no COVID-related cases at the club, and it is due to reopen Tuesday, June 29.

"Being proactive, we are closing our club for 48hrs until we are able to confirm if there are any local hotspots," a social media post said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.