An out-of-control bushfire in metropolitan Perth has been downgraded as the number of homes destroyed by the blaze is revised up to 18.
More than 160 firefighters continue to battle the fire that has ripped through dozens of tinder-dry semi-rural properties and rained embers down on nearby suburbs.
Previously at emergency level, it was reduced to a watch and act warning on Friday afternoon.
Premier Roger Cook returned early from a trade mission to China and toured the fire grounds, where authorities say a further five homes have suffered significant damage and 31 sheds and outbuildings have also been destroyed.
"It is extraordinary that despite the unforgiving conditions that have fuelled this bushfire emergency there has been no loss of human life," Mr Cook told reporters.
"That is a staggering achievement."
The premier said the devastation the bushfire had caused was "harrowing".
"Homeowners who have been affected are still being notified so today is obviously a really tough day for them," he said.
"Our thoughts go out to these people and their families.
"These people have lost memories of loved ones and the losses of their properties are devastating as well."
Authorities say it will take at least another three to four days to bring the fire, which has a 64km perimeter, under control, with high temperatures forecast for Saturday and Sunday.
Emergency Services Minister Stephen Dawson said the blaze remained a major incident and was not contained.
"We will have hot weather over the next few days and so we're not out of the woods just yet," he said.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Darren Klemm said although conditions had improved on Friday and 95 per cent of the fire was now contained, crews continued to work hard building fire breaks.
"We'll continue to see dangerous fire weather over the weekend with a risk of dry lightning between the Midwest and the Perth hills," he said.
He said the fire ground contained areas of burning peat in unstable wetlands that were very difficult to detect and extinguish.
"Peat is highly flammable and the fires can burn extremely hot and very deep underground for weeks," he said.
Premier Cook announced additional emergency financial payments for families affected by the fires.
People whose home has been destroyed or damaged by will be eligible for payments up to $4000 to help with accommodation, transport and food.
The Commonwealth-owned Centre for National Resilience at Bullsbrook has also been opened and a community evacuation centre remains in operation, along with an animal shelter.
The blaze started in a pine forest on Wednesday and forced hundreds of people to flee their homes as strong winds fanned embers a kilometre ahead of the fire front.
Firefighters and water bombers worked through the night and into Thursday as gusty winds fanned flare-ups and residents prepared their homes for the worst.
More than 1000 people were left without power as the blaze brought down critical infrastructure and forced schools and public buildings to close.
After temperatures in Perth peaked at 39C on Thursday, the mercury reached 33C on Friday.
The city is forecast to swelter through 39C on both Saturday and Sunday.