Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Markus Mannheim

Bushfire danger returns to Canberra as authorities cancel Australia Day fireworks

The fireworks are usually a highlight of Canberra's Australia Day long weekend celebrations.

The ACT and its neighbouring town of Queanbeyan have cancelled this year's Australia Day fireworks displays.

The pyrotechnics are usually set off at music concerts during the holiday celebrations in both places.

While the concerts will go ahead, the events will now focus on raising money for people affected by the New South Wales bushfire crisis, which has ravaged the region.

The ACT's Acting Arts Minister, Rachel Stephen-Smith, said the display was ruled out because of the harsh summer conditions and ongoing fire disaster.

"While our neighbours continue to battle bushfires, our emergency services personnel on alert and unpredictable weather in the weeks ahead, this is not the year for us to celebrate with fireworks," Ms Stephen-Smith said.

"Rather, Australia Day is an opportunity for us to acknowledge the many Australians who are currently engaged in efforts to reduce the harm and trauma caused by bushfires this season."

The Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council, which governs an area affected by two huge blazes, announced earlier it would also withdraw its planned fireworks.

"Instead, funds will be put towards a donation to bushfire relief," the council said in a statement.

Late last month, the ACT Government cancelled Canberra's New Year's Eve fireworks, which would have coincided with a total fire ban.

However, the country's biggest end-of-year display, in Sydney Harbour, went ahead in similar circumstances despite widespread criticism that it posed a fire risk.

The Australia Day long weekend is two weeks away.

Hot, windy conditions return

Meanwhile, firefighters in south-east Australia are on alert today, with temperatures in some areas forecast to climb above 40 degrees Celsius.

Hot, dry winds are also expected to return after several days of respite and cooler weather.

A total fire ban has been declared for Friday.

Bushfires near Mount Morgan and Adaminaby are now less than 10 kilometres from the ACT's southern border.

However, ACT Emergency Services Commissioner Georgeina Whelan said the fires did not pose an immediate danger to homes and were not expected to enter the ACT.

"Our aim is for them not to, which is why we're working with New South Wales on fighting the fires now and also using the large aerial tankers to air bomb those fires," she said yesterday.

The thick bushfire smoke that has blighted Canberra recently is expected to stay for several more days.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.