Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Colin Drury

Bury explosion: Woman’s body found after house collapses

Photograph: Screengrab

A woman’s body has been pulled from the rubble of a house that collapsed following a late night explosion in Bury.

The unnamed female was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency workers found her, police said on Thursday morning.

Two others - another woman and a child - were rushed to hospital following the blast in the Greater Manchester town’s Ramsbottom area at around 9.20pm on Wednesday night.

Five other homes were evacuated.

"There was this huge noise, like a bomb had been dropped in the middle of the street,” one resident, Daniel Peace, said.

Speaking to Sky News, he added: "I expected to look out the window and see a crater or something, it was unbelievable."

As of Thursday morning, it remained unclear exactly what caused the explosion, although residents reported a strong smell of gas in the air throughout the night.

Eamonn O’Brien, leader of Bury Council, said in a tweet: “"The council and emergency services are currently supporting residents. The community response has been incredible as always. Thank you."

Police, fire crews and ambulances all attended the scene in the area’s East View.

North West Ambulance Service said one woman and a younger female were taken to hospital.

Neither of them are thought to be seriously injured, however.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said it had sent three fire engines and a number of support units to the scene.

Electricity North West said it had cut power supplies to 60 properties following the incident.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.