Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Burnley boss Dyche plays down Everton links

Soccer Football - Premier League - Burnley vs Newcastle United - Turf Moor, Burnley, Britain - October 30, 2017 Burnley manager Sean Dyche REUTERS/Andrew Yates

(Reuters) - Burnley manager Sean Dyche has said he is fully focused on his job at Turf Moor after British media reports linked him to the vacant position at Everton.

Burnley have got off to a flying start in the Premier League and Monday's 1-0 win over Newcastle United pushed them up to seventh in the standings.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Southampton, the English manager played down speculation linking him to Goodison Park, where Ronald Koeman was sacked last month after a disappointing start to the campaign.

"I just keep getting on with my job -- the same as I did last week, the same as I did the week before," Dyche told a news conference on Thursday.

"You can probably show the press conference from last week if we keep going down that question."

When asked whether he needed to discuss the Everton situation with his players, Dyche replied: "No, because you (the media) do it all for them. You cover every inch of everyone who's ever been linked in the history of every club, so they read that."

Burnley have collected eight points on the road this season, including victories at Chelsea and Everton.

Having managed only seven points away in the whole of the 2016-17 campaign, Dyche is relishing the improvement but keen to keep his squad grounded.

"It is early on in the season, well relatively early," he added. "We don't think we're the real deal but equally I've said I think we're moving forwards and I think we are.

"The games are tight but we've come out the right side when we've needed to and got the points when we've needed to. (In) very tough games, as they all are. So it's very pleasing overall.”

Dyche confirmed striker Chris Wood has trained with the first-team and was available for selection after missing the Newcastle clash with a hamstring injury.

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.