Get all your news in one place
100’s of premium titles. One news app. Zero ads. Just $10 per month.

Burnie Dockers football player suffers heart attack after on-field brawl in Tasmania's north-west

Three off-duty paramedics who were watching the game came to Tobi Mcinnes's aid. (Facebook: Burnie Dockers)

Tasmania police are investigating an on-field fight that led to a player suffering a heart attack during a football game in Tasmania's north-west.

Burnie Dockers player Tobi Mcinnes went into cardiac arrest after a melee during the match between Penguin and Burnie at West Park Oval in Burnie on Saturday afternoon.

Police said the incident happened behind play in the third quarter of the North West Football League game.

The match was abandoned as a result.

Three off-duty paramedics who were watching the game came to Mcinnes's aid and he was treated on the field before being transported to the North-West Regional Hospital.

He was then transferred to the Launceston General Hospital and is in a stable condition.

In a statement, the Burnie Football Club said the quick action of trainers and paramedics saved his life.

Burnie club president Jamie Boag said the Dockers wanted to thank everyone who assisted after the incident.

"The quick actions of those involved definitely saved Tobi's life," Mr Boag said.

"A heartfelt thank you to our trainers and staff Kim Chatwin, Damien Moore, Mieke Bacon and Craig Stretton, Penguin trainers Rod Adams and Lyndon O'Neil and field umpire Brett Menzies for their initial assistance.

"Tobi was so very lucky that we had three paramedics watching the game in Hannah Best, Elka Best and Holly Johnstone, who ran onto the ground to render assistance and continued their assistance even after the ambulance arrived.

"It was a traumatic experience for all involved and for those who witnessed it."

Burnie player Tobi Mcinnes was later taken to the Launceston General Hospital. (ABC News: Luke Bowden)

Sports Chaplaincy Tasmania will attend the club on Tuesday night to offer counselling and support to players and officials.

"We would invite any supporters who have also been impacted to contact the club to attend one of the sessions," Mr Boag said.

Clubs send best wishes for 'a speedy recovery'

In a social media post, the Penguin Football Club described the incident as a traumatic experience and would "like to wish Tobi all the best for a speedy recovery".

Other north-west coast football clubs also extended their best wishes to the footballer.

The Latrobe Football Club wished him luck in his recovery, with president Greg Donald extending "our best wishes to Tobi and his family" and wishing him a speedy recovery.

"It is in tough times like these that the football family pulls together, and as the news filtered through yesterday [Saturday], it shook the entire football community," he said in a statement on Facebook.

"Our thoughts are with both the Burnie Dockers Football Club and Penguin Football Club and all the supporters impacted."

The Ulverstone Football Club also sent their thoughts to everyone affected by the incident. They will also have a counsellor at the club this week for players, support staff and spectators.

Detective inspector Steve Jones said police were continuing to investigate the incident and were appealing to the community for help.

"We're calling on witnesses to come forward and provide assistance to investigators," he said.

"Police take any instances of assault seriously, and we need the community's help to make sure those responsible are properly identified."

In a statement on Monday, AFL Tasmania said it and the NWFL were "aware of an alleged on-field incident involving members of the Burnie and Penguin Football Clubs". 

"As this is a police matter, AFL Tasmania and the NWFL will not be making any further comment at this time."