Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Holly Williams

BT ramps up cost cutting as annual earnings flatline

BT has revealed aims to cut costs by a further £700 million over the next four years as it reported flat full-year earnings and falling revenues. (BT/PA) -

BT has revealed aims to cut costs by a further £700 million over the next four years as it reported flat full-year earnings and falling revenues.

The telecoms giant said it was upping its cost saving target to £3.7 billion, from £3 billion previously, and extending its restructuring programme by a year to the end of March 2030.

It said the restructuring plan launched in May 2024 would now cost it £1.4 billion in total, up from £1 billion previously expected, with the firm having previously announced it would cut up to 55,000 jobs worldwide by 2030.

BT has already delivered annual savings of £1.5 billion as part of the overhaul, including £580 million in the past 12 months to March 31, with the group’s workforce shrinking by another 7% to 108,000 staff over the year.

Chief executive Allison Kirkby said while the firm is not axing more staff than originally expected, the additional cost cuts will mean the total workforce will likely end up at the lower end of the forecasted range of 75,000 to 90,000 by 2030 after the cull.

This is down from 130,000 workers, including contractors, in 2024.

Details of the extra savings came as it reported underlying earnings remaining flat at £8.23 billion in the year to March 31, as underlying revenues fell 4% to £19.65 billion, with UK service revenues down 1% despite price rises.

On a statutory basis, pre-tax profits rose 8% to £1.44 billion.

The group said revenues were also set to decline further over the year ahead, forecasting a range of £19 billion to £19.5 billion, while earnings are expected to edge higher to between £8.2 billion to £8.3 billion.

UK service revenues are likewise predicted to come under further pressure, with BT forecasting a range of £15.1 billion to £15.4 billion for 2026-27, against the £15.4 billion reported in the past year.

Openreach has been hit by customer losses in recent years as low-priced competitors – so-called retail altnets – have entered the fray, such as CityFibre.

But the firm said its consumer division returned to customer growth across broadband, mobile and TV during the year.

Full-year results also showed the firm lost fewer customers than feared, down 825,000 across Openreach broadband, which was down from 828,000 shed in 2024-25.

It lost 203,000 Openreach customers in the fourth quarter, down from 210,000 in the previous three months, and said it expects to lose another 800,000 in 2026-27.

Ms Kirkby said: “We have delivered on our financial guidance and we are transforming ahead of plan, offsetting headwinds while successfully competing.”

Ms Kirby has also been looking at a possible stake sale in its struggling international business, with reports in recent days that it is reviving these plans to refocus on its domestic UK market.

BT has been gradually reducing its overseas business as part of wider cost-cutting plans, recently selling off its troubled Italian business and previously agreeing the sale of its Irish wholesale and enterprise business unit.

Shares fell 3% after the full-year figures despite a 2% shareholder dividend increase and as it set out refreshed plans for future investor payouts.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.