Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Nate Ulrich

Browns' Corey Coleman breaks hand for second time in less than year, has surgery

BEREA, Ohio _ Corey Coleman's teammates hated to hear he suffered a broken bone in his right hand for the second time in less than a year.

The Browns wide receiver and 15th overall pick in last year's draft is undergoing surgery Monday, and it's unclear whether he'll be able to return to the field this season.

"Don't know that timetable," coach Hue Jackson said. "But hopefully we'll get him back."

Coleman, 23, didn't need surgery on the hand last year and sat out six games. He'll miss more time this year.

"That's hard to hear," receiver Rashard Higgins said. "One of the star players on the team, he goes down in the game. For us, it's like the next man up. We don't know how long Corey's going to be out but keeping him in our prayers and hope he has a fast healing."

"It's tough," receiver Ricardo Louis said. "We were expecting to have a big year as a group, and for him, I know (he wanted) to come off what happened last season and just show the world that he can do, everything they expect him to do. I know he can. It's just unfortunate that he has to deal with this injury."

Coleman broke the hand the first time on Sept. 21, 2016, during a practice after the second game of the season. He broke it again Sunday, four days shy of the anniversary of the first injury, in a 24-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

"It's the same hand, different bone," Jackson said. "It's unfortunate. The guy has worked so hard getting ready for the season, but we know these things happen in football."

Rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer said Coleman was one of the first players at Browns headquarters Monday morning.

"He knows that it's right back to the grind of getting back to the field to help out this program," Kizer said. "... I'm going to support him as a friend and as a teammate, and I'm looking forward to seeing his progression through this injury and hopefully his procedure goes well hopefully and we'll see him back out there."

The injury occurred when Coleman jumped for a pass from Kizer with cornerback Marlon Humphrey and safety Tony Jefferson in coverage. Coleman made contact with Humphrey mid-air and landed awkwardly. He held his right hand against his body after he rose to his feet with 13:15 left in the fourth quarter.

Coleman left the game, didn't return, underwent X-rays and refused to speak to reporters afterward in the locker room. The Browns (0-2) feared Coleman had a broken hand Sunday night and scheduled him for further testing.

The injury is a major blow to an incredibly weak receiving corps. Coleman will likely land on injured reserve as soon as Tuesday. Each NFL team is permitted to bring a maximum of two players off IR to play in the same season after they sit out at least eight games.

"Hey, next guy up," Jackson said. "We've got to go coach the guys that we have here. There's nothing magical that's going to happen that way. I know (head of football operations) Sashi (Brown) and his team will do everything they can to see if there's somebody else that can help us, but I don't look at it that way. I think the guys that are on our football team got to step up and play."

The Browns were counting on Coleman to emerge as a No. 1 receiver this season after he had 33 catches for 413 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games as a rookie. Coleman had five catches for 53 yards on six targets in last week's season-opening, 21-18 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers but just one catch for 9 yards on seven targets against the Ravens.

"I think he was getting better," Jackson said. "There's no question about that. He was definitely heading in the right direction. So it's unfortunate."

In March, the Browns signed veteran receiver Kenny Britt to a four-year, $32.5 million contract, which includes $17 million guaranteed. But Britt has followed a rough preseason with just two catches for 15 yards through the first two regular-season games. His effort and attitude have come under fire early this season.

"Am I pleased with his effort? We've got to play better as an offensive unit all the way around, receiver, running back, everywhere," Jackson said. "We've got to play harder, and that's what we've got to do as a football unit."

In addition to Higgins, Louis and Britt, the other receivers on the roster are Sammie Coates, Kasen Williams and Reggie Davis. Running back Duke Johnson should be mentioned with the group because he's been used as a slot receiver this season.

"There is going to be another guy who is going to come in and work his butt off to try and fill that gap," Kizer said. "We know that Corey is a special player for us and a big playmaker for us and we have to find someone else to step in and fill that role."

After being promoted from the practice squad Saturday, Higgins had a breakout game against the Ravens, racking up seven catches for 95 yards on 11 targets. As a rookie fifth-round pick last season, Higgins had six catches for 77 yards in 16 games.

"I thought he had the potential to do that," Jackson said of Higgins' performance Sunday. "That's why we elevated him. ... We've got to continue to get guys to step up and make plays for our football team."

Coleman, Higgins and Britt started against the Ravens. Higgins, Louis or both will likely start Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts (0-2).

Regardless, the group has yet to prove it can do enough to help the Browns win.

"When plays present themselves, we've just got to make them," Louis said. "That's what we're striving for."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.