Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Sun-Times Wire

Brookfield man held without bail after Belmont Cragin shooting

Nicholas Athens was arrested for allegedly shooting a man Jan. 16 in Belmont Craign. | Adobe stock photo

A Brookfield man was held without bail in connection with a shooting last month in Belmont Cragin on the Northwest Side.

Nicholas Athans, 32, was charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery in the Jan. 16 shooting, Chicago police said.

That day, Athans allegedly shot a 35-year-old man in the leg and mouth in the 5300 block of West Oakdale Avenue, police said. The man was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in critical condition.

Athans was arrested Wednesday in Dunning, police said. Court records show he was ordered held without bail, and he is due back in court Feb. 16.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.