Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Jon Heath

Broncos believe Melvin Gordon, Phillip Lindsay can coexist

After the Broncos signed Melvin Gordon during NFL free agency, some fans and pundits questioned the move. Why would Denver bring in a Pro Bowler (Gordon) when the team already has a Pro Bowler (Phillip Lindsay)?

How will Lindsay handle it? Will he be upset?

“I’ve talked to Phillip — talked to him yesterday as a matter of fact . . . Phillip is a competitor,” Broncos coach Vic Fangio said on a conference call with reporters on Tuesday. “He’s just not going to give away his job or his carries.

“It’s pretty commonplace in the NFL right now to have two backs share the running back duties. There’s a lot of work there to be had between the both of them. We’ll see how it unfolds.”

Lindsay will probably have some extra motivation for the 2020 season, which is good news for the Broncos’ offense. Denver seems to believe that there will be enough carries to go around to keep both RBs happy.

“As Vic said, I think the discussions that we had with it, we thought it was important to have two really good backs,” general manager John Elway said Wednesday. “With the opportunity of landing Melvin, we thought it was a good combination with Phillip.”

Lindsay reached out to Gordon last month and told him he was excited to work with and compete with his new teammate. Both backs will want to prove they should get the bulk of touches, which bodes well for the offense.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.