Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Agency

British model, 20, kidnapped and 'auctioned on dark web' in Milan

A Polish man has been jailed in the kidnapping of a British model held captive in northern Italy for six days last month, police said Saturday. 

Milan police said the man, who holds British residence, was arrested on a charge of suspected kidnapping for extortion purposes. They didn't release his identity. 

Police official Lorenzo Bucossi told reporters the 20-year-old woman had come to Milan for a photo shoot, apparently a phony setup, and was abducted on 11 July. 

Based on court documents, Corriere della Sera reported the woman was drugged by her abductor and held in a small town in the northwestern Piedmont region of Italy. At one point, the newspaper said, the woman was told she could be freed upon payment of 50,000 euros (around $60,000). 

The report said investigators also are exploring the possibility the woman was abducted so she could be auctioned off online as a sex slave. 

Corriere said the suspect discovered she had a young child and considered her unsuitable for sex trafficking. Bucossi said the suspect dropped her off near the British Consulate in Milan on 17 July, but it wasn't clear why the kidnapping ended. 

Whether the suspect had accomplices is also under investigation.

AP

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.