Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Samuel Osborne

Bristol protests: Man arrested over pulling down of Edward Colston statue

A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage by police investigating the toppling of a statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol.

The bronze memorial was pulled down during a Black Lives Matter protest on 7 June and thrown in Bristol harbour.

No arrests were made at the time but Avon and Somerset Police subsequently released 15 images of people they wished to speak to after reviewing footage of the statue being pulled down with ropes.

The force said on Monday the 24-year-old had been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and has since been released under investigation.

The council has since retrieved the statue, which will now be displayed in a museum along with placards from the Black Lives Matter protest.

Detective Superintendent Liz Hughes said in an appeal on 22 June: “The incident attracted worldwide attention and there’s no denying it has polarised public opinion – but in the eyes of the law a crime has been committed and we’re duty-bound to investigate this without fear or favour.

“I’d like to reassure people we’re carrying out a thorough, fair and proportionate investigation and have sought early investigative advice from the Crown Prosecution Service.”

The investigation is still ongoing, Avon and Somerset Police said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the force on 101, providing the reference number 5220123926, or anonymously via the charity Crimestoppers.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.