Feb. 10--A teen charged with striking Mayor Rahm Emanuel's son in the face and robbing him of his iPhone was awaiting sentencing at the time for possessing a stolen motor vehicle, Cook County prosecutors revealed Monday in juvenile court.
The suspect was sentenced last month to a year of probation for that felony conviction, an assistant state's attorney said.
A judge who expressed concern over the teen's many contacts with police in the last year ordered him held on aggravated battery and robbery charges in the attack on the mayor's son.
The teen was allowed to hand over his cellphone to his mother before he was led away. His mother and stepfather declined to speak to reporters after the brief hearing at the Near West Side courthouse.
The teen was 17 at the time of the robbery and was charged as a juvenile. The Tribune is not identifying him as a result. He has since turned 18.
An assistant state's attorney said the teen was one of two individuals who approached the mayor's son as he talked on his cellphone in the 4200 block of North Hermitage Avenue about 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 19. The other offender grabbed the mayor's son from behind in a chokehold, while the teen struck him twice in the face and head with his fists, the prosecutor said. Police have said the blow knocked Emanuel's son, Zach, 17, to the ground.
The teen the patted down the mayor's son and took his cellphone, the prosecutor said. He demanded the passcode for the phone and asked, "What else you got?" according to the prosecutor.
Police have said the two forced Emanuel's son to enter his security code to unlock the phone before fleeing.
Emanuel's son was treated for cuts and bruises on his face by a personal physician at his home, according to a police report.
Chicago police have said that the teen confessed to the crime following his arrest Friday.
As the prosecutor laid out the allegations during the court hearing, the teen stood in front of Judge Lori Wolfson with his head down and hands clasped behind his back.
The teen's attorney sought to have him released to his parents' custody and recommended that he be placed on electronic monitoring.
But the judge disagreed, noting his criminal record included more than 10 arrests and the one felony conviction -- as well as 32 contacts with police in the last year.
"Over the past year you've had a hard time controlling yourself," Wolfson told him. "Something is going on with your life."
Wolfson then told the teen that a court restraining order would be issued against him, barring him from any contact with Emanuel's son.
The teen showed no reaction, keeping his head down.
"Look at me for a moment," Wolfson said in a slightly stern tone. "Please, do you understand me?"
His attorney told the court that the teen applied for two jobs in the last week and was hoping to enroll at Truman College in the Uptown neighborhood to work toward a GED.
sschmadeke@tribpub.com
jgorner@tribpub.com
Twitter @SteveSchmadeke
Twitter @JeremyGorner