Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Rosemary Regina Sobol and Carlos Sadovi

South Side man held without bail in Gresham dice game slaying

Jan. 15--A 19-year-old man has been charged with fatally shooting a friend late last month during a dice game at a South Side home, police said.

Thomas Porter, 19, was charged with first-degree murder, according to police and prosecutors.

At a bond hearing Thursday afternoon, Porter was held without bail by Judge James Brown, according to Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Porter is accused of fatally shooting 20-year-old Trevon Williams about 9 p.m. Dec. 23 at Porter's home in the 7800 block of South Lowe Avenue, Simonton said.

At the time of the shooting, Porter was involved in a dice game with Williams and three other friends, Simonton said.

While the three other friends were inside the home, Porter and Williams were standing on the front porch. The three said they had seen Porter with a gun, and, while they were inside, they saw Porter outside pointing the gun at Williams, Simonton said.

The three then heard a single gunshot, and Williams ended up shot in the chest. Police were notified.

Williams, of the 6400 block of South Lowe Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:28 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Porter was arrested Wednesday, and he was identified as Williams' shooter, Simonton said.

Porter had a pending misdemeanor charge for cannabis possession and a pending domestic battery case, prosecutors said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.